World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
June 15th is World Elder Abuse Awareness Day!
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) was developed and launched on June 15, 2006 by the International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse (INPEA). Our Executive Director at that time, Alison Leaney, was invited to speak at the United Nations for the launch.
WEAAD activities are intended to bring greater recognition of abuse and neglect of older adults in British Columbia or wherever they live, and to highlight the need for prevention and community involvement in a response to the issue. We work to give abuse and neglect of seniors a relevance that will sustain and move prevention efforts forward throughout the year and for years to come.
Community Response Network communities throughout BC will be collaborating in multigenerational and multidisciplinary activities, events and initiatives in recognition of WEAAD. Below are a variety of materials that we hope will assist you in whatever you undertake.
When planning an event or some activity in your community, it is always a good idea to find out what other activites are being planned in the community at the same time. If another organization or group is doing some planning, partnering with them to bring awareness to your community can be an excellent way of building relationships and avoiding stepping on each other's toes. Our intent in providing these materials is that you work collaboratively with your community to highlight the issue of Elder Abuse.
In addition to the material below, this part of the Resources Section is organized by the following groups:
- 2016 City of Vancouver WEAAD Proclamation
- 2016 WEAAD Proclamation for BC
- Elder Abuse Awareness in Credit Unions
- News from South Okanagan
- February 25th, 2014 Community of Practice Teleconference Notes on WEAAD
- BC CRN World Elder Abuse Awareness Day Guide
- BC CRN World Elder Abuse Awareness Day Guide, Appendix Part 1
- BC CRN World Elder Abuse Awareness Day Guide, Appendix Part 2
- BC CRN World Elder Abuse Awareness Day Guide, Additional Resources and Links
- BC CRN World Elder Abuse Awareness Day Certificate of Recognition
- BC CRN World Elder Abuse Awareness Day Folder Front and Back Artwork
- BC CRN World Elder Abuse Awareness Day CD Label Artwork
- WEAAD Event Schedule 2016